Disclaimer: "Optometry Council of India is a self-regulatory body registered under the Indian Company Act , Section 25 A (Not for Profit)"
Achievements and Accomplishments of OCI !!
Dear members !!
It gives me immense pleasure to write to all of you about the:
Achievements and accomplishments of Optometry Council of India (OCI).
Optometry Council of India (OCI) is a self regulatory body which is at present registering optometrist. As many of you may be aware, OCI commenced registration on 26th Jan 2014. Although OCI is a nascent organization, with the support of optometrists in India as well as from overseas we have come a long way since January 2014. All this would not have been possible without a dedicated work force, a very supporting board of
directors and most important of all the trust that the Indian optometrist have on us!
OCI has listed its achievements through its journey over the last 1 ½ years.
Registrations and Membership:
1) 1000 members within a period of 18 months
2) 100 Provisional registrations , from various optometry institutes all over the country
3) Out of the 1000 registrations, 125 are NRI registrations from UAE, Bahrain, UK, Australia, Canada, USA and Malaysia.
4) ITM college, makes OCI registration compulsory
5) OCANZ: Optometry Council of Australia and New Zealand has made it compulsory for Indian optometrist applying for licensure to have OCI registration
6) USA, University of Houston is in the process of making it mandatory for Indian optometry students to have OCI registration. Similarly OCI is working with other universities in USA to make it mandatory for Indian students to have OCI registration.
7) OCI badges distributed for all registered optometrists
8) American Optometry Academy (AOA) will offer international membership to OCI registered optometrist at an annual fee of 89USD
9) Corporates such as Essilor, L&M, Alcon have made it mandatory to register all their optometrist with OCI. In the same line, B&L, ALCON and J&J have registered all its professional services as well.
1) Two Article on OCI in Vision Plus magazine
2) Article on OCI in Indian Optician magazine
3) Press conference with ASCO
4) OCI advertisement in the news paper, in 30 national dailies on world optometry day
Continuing Education and School accreditation:
1) Continuing Education Guidelines manual
2) CE providers manual , for accredited and non accredited providers
3) 10 CE providers till date registered with OCI : LVPEI , ASCO , Vidyasagar college , Harijyot College , Karnataka Optometry Association, Masterclass Optometry, India Vision Institute , Dr Shroff’s Charity eye hospital , Management and Science University Malaysia , ALCON
4) 11 OCI accredited CE’s conducted with a total of 60 credit points : Masterclass optometry , Annual clinical symposium , harnessing your soft contact lens skills , perfecting the art of spectacle dispensing ,Mega event 2 , Second state level conference , 33rd Low vision awareness program , Ocular Implications of systemic diseases ,Updates for optometrists ,51st ICLEP ,MOVES 1 .
5) OCI celebrated World optometry day in collaboration with Harijyot College of Optometry , Navsari and with SRM College, Chennai
6) Optometry College/school accreditation process manual developed
7) Optometry College/school accreditation policy document finalized.
1) OCI is the verification agency to optometrist travelling to middle eastern countries
2) OCI became associate member of WCO
3) Support letter received from Sujaya Krishnan, MOHFW, Gov. Of India
4) OCI has written to 13 universities in India introducing itself to them
5) OCI has written to UGC objecting to distance learning in Optometry.
6) Approximately 10 good standing certificates given.
7) Optometrist locator introduced through which optometrist as well as public can locate a registered optometrist and also know about their area of specialization,
1) Website development: OCI has its own website and online registration has been open since day 1. Recently a member’s ONLY section also has been open to all our members.
2) Members can now upload their CE credits document online
3) Case report format to all members to submit for attaining CE credits has been published to members.
4) Job Opportunity information from various organizations
5) Optometrist locator for the public introduced
At his juncture I would like to thank all the Indian optometrists who trusted us and registered with us and I also urge the optometrists who have not registered to do so.
OCI would like to thank the support of Optometry Giving Sight, Brien Holden Vision Foundation and India Vision Institute in helping us achieve all the above.
CEO, Optometry Council of India